Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Waiting

The Waiting is a song by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. As I was listening to it yesterday I heard the line the waiting is the hardest part. I started to think about all the different kinds of waiting we do like: bored waiting, excited waiting, mad waiting, anxious waiting, ambivalent waiting, happy waiting and sad waiting. I'm sure there are more types of waiting but these are what came to my mind.

I was thinking about all the waiting I've done for my daughter this year which starts each school day at about 6:25 am as I wait for her to be ready for me to take her to seminary. I call out " Are you ready yet Morgan?" her reply is " in a minute Mom" 10 minutes later I yell "Let's go you're going to be late!" she says " I just have to finish my make up, or I need to brush my teeth, or put on my shoes, or find my P.E. clothes/Cheer stuff" another 5 or 10 minutes have gone by and she is now going to be somewhere between 10 to 20 minutes late for seminary. It drives me crazy!! I hate to be late. Then at the end of the day she calls me to pick her up and when I get to the school she is not out front waiting for me so I have to wait for her. I hate having to wait on her when she told me she was ready to get picked up! After I've waited about 5 minutes I call her "Morgan I 'm out front waiting" she replies " I'm coming, or I 'll be there in a minute, or I need to just stop by here first, or Ms Treat needed to talk to us." ( Her cheer coaches' name is Candy Treat. If your name was Candy would you marry a man with the last name Treat? I don't know I guess it was true love!) So, Morgan often starts and ends her day getting yelled at. Isn't it great to be a teenager? I hope we will do better this next school year! I am going to think up some torturous punishment for her when she is late for seminary so we will see how that goes!

I have had experiences with all kinds of waiting, but I would love to hear a story from your life so please leave a comment! Love Monica xoxo

6 comments:

La Familia Aguilar said...

Oh Monica,
I wait and wait all the time for Isabelle too. Sometimes as a am driving her to seminary I am just so angry. I hate starting my day out having to prod her along when all I really want to do is sleep! I do the same thing after school. She calls and I tell her I am around the corner and she still is not outside when I get there. When I ask her why she says, "I hate wating for you." Meaning I would rather be inside talking to friends than outside ready to jump in the van when you get here!!
I really miss you guys and wish we could get togeather before school starts.
Love you tons,
Danelle

Unknown said...

My waiting -- is waiting every day until 5. Five is my favorite time of the day because than I say "Dad's going to be home in 30 minutes." I smile and feel more relaxed knowing he will come as a knight in shinning armor for my rescue.
I really love him.

Aimee said...

I am sick of waiting for this house to sell!!!I cant stand living in this maybe were moving maybe were not!I am sick of waiting for the day when I wakeup skinny been waiting years for that!(I just took a break from typing to take a bite of a brurito covered in sour cream!)Guess I will not wake up skinny tommarow. am waiting for school to start so I can send my brats away for six hours a day(30 more days)Once that hapens I am sure I been waiting for summer so I can have time with my brats! Guess I NEED TO LEARN TO LIVE IN THE MOMENT

Cat On A Hot Tin Roof said...

I love waiting. Yep, love it. I like waiting around the corner, knowing Monica is about to be there so I can scare the crap out of her!! Or there is the beautiful waiting while she is looking for where she placed her latest book. I am giddy with joy clear up to the point she realizes i hid it !! I really love to wait in bed and pretend to be asleep. I hear her coming in and it is all I can do to keep from laughing as she tries to tell if I am faking. I wonder how many times she comes in when I am really asleep, and calls me a faker or sticks things in my ear or pulls open my eyelids. So, yeah, sometimes I like waiting. I think that may be "evil-waiting"...........

Unknown said...

It time for another post sister. :)

Amazed said...

I have done a ton of waiting...

but the phrase came to me

"Be still...and know that I am God."

I know this is late in coming (I'm just catching up on blogs I love) but still wanted to comment. And I loved your husband's windmill picture!